[mythtv-users] AC3 to SPDIF option

Richard Pickler rpickler at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:30:59 UTC 2007

I used the .asoundrc file from wilsonnet (with one change, noted below) to
solve this exact problem.  Works like a charm.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/asoundrc.txt

If you look at the start of the file, you'll notice the block:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
## Uncomment the following to use mixed analog by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
## Uncomment the following to use unmixed digital by default
  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

I use the third option "dmix-digital", which outputs everything over
the digital connection