[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:37:32 UTC 2007

> Hub or switch?Without looking further at your post "hub" is a word that
> leaps out at me & jumps up & down.
>
> A hub will broadcast packets to all its ports, and if more than one
> connection is made through it simultaneously then collisions will cause it
> to saturate at well below its headline speed (like 20mBit). A switch directs
> packets only to the port which responds to them, so full bandwidth
> communications can take place between multiple computers.

Yes, it is a hub, and I agree, when it first starting looking like a network
issue that is the first thing I thought of.  But for testing I took the
switch out of the F/E room and put it in place of the hub.  It had
absolutely no effect on the problem whatsoever.  Granted I didn't do major
testing.  I connected everything up and tested LiveTV on the F/E, which is
the spot where this issue is most evident.  As soon as I saw and heard the
video and audio breakups and dropouts I put everything back to the way it
was.