[mythtv-users] STEP 3 Destroy your TV

Eric Broszeit eric.broszeit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 20:05:39 UTC 2007

I have had 2 DLP TVs and you always need to stay the the 60 refresh unless
you actually have a vga input. Going above will tend not break it, it just
tends not to work. I have used DVI to HDMI on both TVs and never broken a
thing. I do not know if you could do anything drastic enough to do so. If
your TV maker was smart enough, it will also tell you that the signal is out
of range and ignore a hazardous incoming signal. My Samsung does.

On 2/13/07, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Toshiba 50hm66 DLP HD set that I have connected to a geexbox
> (linux media player) machine via S-video. I am tempted to try a
> DVI-HDMI adapter for hookup, but the TVs owners manual says it is not
> designed for PC use. I have asked on the avs forums, but nobody has
> any definitive answers on whether this is a serious risk, or not. One
> poster got a response from Toshiba saying that as long as you stay
> under the set's native 60Hz refresh, you'll be OK. I am not an expert,
> but I didnt think there was a "refresh" for a non CRT display such as
> DLP. Any comments? I plan to hook up my future Mythbox via the HDMI,
> so knowing if it will fry my TV beforehand could be useful info.
> -J
>
> On 2/13/07, Cecil Watson <cwatson at linkline.com> wrote:
> > Peter Ebert wrote:
> > > I'm new to the whole mythtv thing, been weighing the options of
> > > installing according to wilsonet.com <http://wilsonet.com> or useing a
> > > package, like knoppmyth. So I've been reading through everything to
> see
> > > what would be the best path when I read under step 3 for the Knoppmyth
> > > setup that you can destroy your tv if you dont
> > > have /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 setup correctly.  Why haven't I seen this
> > > anywhere else?
> > >
> > > Also, it doesnt mention what/how to change the refresh rate.  I have
> > > found some more information on knoppMythWiki but nothing very clear
> (to me).
> > >
> > > I'm going to be using a nVidia 7300 LE that has S-Video out,
> eventually
> > > i'd like to use the hdmi (once I pony up the cash for an HD). Anyone
> > > know if I need to be worried and how to go about not breaking TVs.
> > >
> > > I'm a total noob so spelling things out for me would be appreciated, I
> > > hope I asked this question in the right place.
> > >
> > > Peter

> > There is a sample nvidia tv out file in /etc/X11 w/ KnoppMyth it should
> > work for you...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Cecil

-----