[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 13 21:35:15 UTC 2007

On 13 Feb 2007, at 20:37, John Welch wrote:
> Just to be clear, my decision to use the hub instead of a switch
> has nothing to do with me not knowing the difference between the
> two, and everything to do with a lack of resources at the time I
> was connecting things up.

Once I read your post thoroughly I realised that was probably the
case. In my initial haste I saw only "hub ... switch (the same
model)", where you had written  "hub, ... switch ... switch (the same
model)".

> I had the B/E box directly connected to the IPCop box using a cross-
> over cable.  I had originally intended to put the HDHR on my
> internal network, but once I got it and started setting it up I
> realized that Myth could not find the HDHR if it was on the
> internal network.

I think the router could route between the green & orange networks,
allowing the BE to see the LAN, but presumably IPcop's intent is that
it shouldn't.

> The way this problem presented itself it was not evident that this
> was/is a network issue.  And despite your very valid points, I am
> still not 100% convinced that it is a network problem.

Indeed. Scott makes valid points regarding hard-disk throughput and
one can't _entirely_ rule that out, but I do feel your response to
that ("wouldn't I see similar problems when I record from ... the
HD-3000?  Because I don't") to be persuasive, too.

> I know that you said you are not familiar with 'ifconfig', but
> here's the latest stats.

I am familiar with `ifconfig`, but not in the context of getting
meaningful traffic analysis with it. I thought the intent to
`ifconfig` was substantially just to show the ip address, subnet
mask, MAC address &c & to allow you to set those as appropriate.

> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:6C:A8:D7:C5
>           inet addr:192.168.1.2   Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:
> 255.255.255.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::201:6cff:fea8:d7c5/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:40273085 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:24402916 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:106445286 (101.5 MiB)  TX bytes:214347787 (204.4
> MiB)
>           Interrupt:23 Base address:0xe200
>
> If I was saturating the network wouldn't I see some errors, drops,
> collisions, etc.?

I'm not convinced, but I can't prove otherwise. I mean, I have a
machine here that has been up 134 days and it shows "RX packets:
91092755 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0". I'm on a switched
network, so that doesn't prove anything, but not a SINGLE error?
Maybe this ifconfig output doesn't account for errors & dropped
frames at the hardware layer, but only those caused when the bus /
processor of the PC that the network is over-loaded and?

> Also, I know I've probably been withholding key evidence, but I'm
> also running Slimserver (music server) on this Myth B/E.  The
> service streams music in various formats over the network, and it's
> running all the time.  I have to believe that this is generating at
> least as much, if not more, network traffic than simply starting
> the Myth front-end.  But yet it is running the Myth F/E, and only
> this process, that causes a problem with the recordings.

Ah! You did withhold evidence there. If you're streaming music from
the BE (actually listening to it in another room) and able to record
from the HDHR at the same time then it would completely blow my
hypothesis out of the water.

Stroller.