[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Tue Feb 13 23:31:35 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Stroller wrote:
>> The way this problem presented itself it was not evident that this
>> was/is a network issue.  And despite your very valid points, I am
>> still not 100% convinced that it is a network problem.
>
> Indeed. Scott makes valid points regarding hard-disk throughput and
> one can't _entirely_ rule that out, but I do feel your response to
> that ("wouldn't I see similar problems when I record from ... the
> HD-3000?  Because I don't") to be persuasive, too.

Actually, my gut feel is that it's the IPCop box but I can't think of
any "easy testing" to prove it so I've kept my mouth shut. :) If it
was my network I would take a simple approach:

First, don't assume it's the network, initially anyway, and gather
performance stats off the B/E while the problem is happening. Stats I
would focus on are memory / swap usage, CPU, I/O wait, disk
performance, and network. I would also consider the kernel I'm using
on the B/E and what the settings are. Is it a stock distro kernel or
one I might have built? If it's a distro kernel, what bugs have been
reported against it? If it's a custom kernel which scheduler and
other performance settings are in use?

Second, take the easiest and cheapest way to eliminate the problem.
Buy, or make, a network cable long enough to connect my F/E box to
the same 8 port switch where the B/E and HDHR are and see if I could
replicate the problem then. This test has the neat advantage of not
requiring any IPCop changes or the need to replicate software configs
on different hardware. That new 50ft (or longer?!) cat5e cable you
now have will come in handy again sooner or later. (BTW, it's _much_
cheaper to make your own cat5e cable. Get the goods from Home Depot
or Lowes if you can't find parts anywhere else!)

Me being me, I would most likely try the second suggestion first.
It's a clean simple test and fits well with my personal philosophy
that "keeping sane is priceless".

Good luck and keep us posted!

--
Scott