[mythtv-users] Controlling a satellite box from MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 14 03:07:52 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Mark wrote:

> I added 50 cents to my IR blaster- added a transistor and a couple
> resistors to power mine off the USB
> port,  so it does the same as the myblaster.  I think I've got
> about $2
> in mine.

So you're getting your DC power from the USB connector, which should
be 5 volts. You could swipe 12 volts from a F/W connector also if you
wanted to.

Or even run a line (fused perhaps) from the 5 or 12 volts on one of
your PSU molex connectors.

> Myblaster may be a good way of doing it, but it's not the only good
> way...

Never said it was the only way, but probably the fastest to get going.

I should also say thinks again to Bill Munson for sharing his perl
script for driving the MyBlaster.

Another option is the blaster that comes with PVR cards these days.
Last I heard that took a patched LIRC to make work but perhaps it's
in the mainstream now? If you already bought a PVR there's nothing
extra to buy to use that.