[mythtv-users] Can't schedule recordings [SOLVED]

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 15 18:09:19 UTC 2007

On 15 Feb 2007, at 15:47, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> I definitely need the database to *not* default to latin1. That's not
>> going to help me display Japanese. And I've already proven that the
>> database functions fine in utf8, so I think that's the way I want
>> it to go.
>
> I think the issue is not that Myth is executing some unnecessary
> command
> because Isaac wants to ensure that no one uses non-latin
> characters, but
> that Myth currently has a requirement that the database use a latin
> character set.  Therefore, the "fix" isn't to just remove that
> statement, but to fix all the areas where there are known issues using
> non-latin character sets.  Then, that statement can be removed.
>
> So, why would that statement be in there?  Probably because Isaac and,
> TTBOMK, all the other developers are using latin character sets and
> can't test using, i.e. Japanese, so they're waiting for someone
> like you
> to come around and volunteer to fix /and test/ the remaining
> character-set-based issues.

I think, as you infer. the word "test" is crucial here.

If Dave isn't in a position to fix character-set-based issues then
perhaps he would be in a position to commit to making good &
comprehensive bug reports regarding the removal of the `ALTER
DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1` statement.

Stroller.