[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Thu Feb 15 22:17:00 UTC 2007

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> I've been using XFS on Linux for about 5 years now. The only
> real shocker I had was when I first started using it on
> Linux and had a crash. It zeroed out the files that were
> opened at the time. But this is just how it works. I don't
> use it for the root partition; I only use it for MythTV and
> my development disk.

I too was using xfs rather heavily and then heard about the
zeroing-out-files design issue.  Within a few weeks I had migrated
everything over to ext3 (including myth) - it took a while since I
didn't have a ton of spare space (but lvm2 helped).

On an ultra-reliable server attached to UPS maybe the extra performance
associated with xfs would be nice, but in a home PC I really don't want
the hassle of rebuilding stuff if files are open when the lights go out.
 And ext3 has worked just fine for me - especially with the slow-delete
feature.

Just the same, I run gentoo on amd64 and haven't had any issues with xfs
while I was using it.

Honestly, unless you just have to have max performance on multimedia
files I'd avoid xfs - it isn't much better than ext3 and the latter has
much better all-around support.  And this is coming from somebody
running 64-bit...