[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 01:01:41 UTC 2007

The only time I have ever lost data was to ext3. I use XFS on a number of
systems, many of which lose power more often than I would like, and have
never lost any data to it. On my MythBox I've got two 250gig drives in a
striped LVM configuration using XFS, and it's been rock solid for a year
now. And that's through no less than four major upgrades to the OS around
the data, all without any problems.

ext3 on the other hand lost a bunch of my data within a week of using it on
a filesystem. Thankfully I had a backup of all the files from the week
before, so it wasn't a huge loss, but I've sworn off ext3 since. I don't
care how good the bolts are, ext3 is just ext2 with journaling bolted on as
an afterthought.

Mike