[mythtv-users] OT: XFS and damaged sectors

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Feb 16 23:44:12 UTC 2007

Cristo Bolaņos wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I've a 250 GB hardisk with a xfs filesystem holding video and music,
> but it has damaged sectors :/
>
> I know there isn't way to recover data in damaged zones, at least in
> an easy way, but... is it possible to format again the hard disk and
> continue using it ?

I'm sure you could reformat it and start over, but why?  If a drive is
showing bad sectors, it means it's probably about to fail.  You'd be
better off replacing the drive.

Modern hard disks have some spare tracks they use to silently replace
bad sectors in the main, usable part of the disk.  (This is why they
don't come with "defect lists" like the old XT hard drives did.)  If
you're actually seeing bad sectors it means there have already been so
many that the disk has run out of spares.