[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 17 02:47:57 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 7:36 PM, <michaelachandler at cox.net> wrote:

> I want to thank all who responded to this.
>
> My situation is perhaps different than most of you, in that I'll be
> sharing my cable with my landlord, who resides in a seperate
> residence on the same property.
>
> The incoming  cable is split before it goes into his house where he
> has the "cable box" from the provider on his TV. The other split
> goes to my house. In my house I split it again, for TV and for
> internet.
>
> I was concerned that the signal need to go through his "cable box"
> before it comes to me, in order for me to have HDTV. The way I read
> your replies, I'll still be able to get  fox, nbc, abc, and a few
> others without that.
> That's all I need anyway.

You may or you may not, it depends on your cable provider.

If they are sending the local off-air channels as unencrypted QAM,
and your capture card can deal with QAM, and if it is a Myth-
supported supported card, then what you say is correct.

But that's a lot of "ifs". Some cable operators encrypt even what
they are not "supposed" to, and literally thumb their noses at the
rules. Some operators literally don't know what you would be talking
about, and the effort to get them to abide by the rules might not be
worth it.

If you live in a major metro area you can probably get the local
affiliates as off-air ATSC channels with rabbit ears, which your card
can almost certainly deal with given a decent signal. A lot of the
cards that can deal with QAM require a fairly strong signal to work
well, and from what you say about the number of splits that might be
a problem.

In short YMMV. If you can find a Myth user on your cable system you
might get more specific information, but there are no guarantees.