[mythtv-users] dvd jukebox

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Sun Feb 18 08:17:05 UTC 2007

Jared Greenwald wrote:
> David,
>
> Excellent info.  How do you setup myth to be able to play the various
> iso images you've ripped?

Myth just plays ISO images - there is no configuration required.  ISO's
are preferable to a directory of VIDEO_TS as it is a single file to
manage/play/edit meta info.

> Have you run into problems with transcoding
> the DVDs and have thus switched to isos?

Not really, it just is easier for me to do

dvdbackup -M -i/dev/dvd -o /data/DVD/somedirecory

mkisofs  -dvd-video -o /data/DVD/somefilm.iso /data/DVD/somedirecory

> I don't particularly care
> about the extras and stuff other than the actual movie, then again,
> having an actual iso backup means that you should be able to
> re-constitute the DVD should something dire happen to the original...
>
> Also, since the mythweb plugin is the only backend plugin, how does one
> actually initiate ripping of a dvd onto a backend machine?  (Same
> question for the iso image.)  I suppose I assume you're using this all
> on one box?

Yes.

Dave