[mythtv-users] Image Quality PVR-500

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 18 20:01:55 UTC 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 12:03 PM, J. David Maino wrote:

> I got my PVR-500 working with the help of the guys over at the IVTV
> user
> list, and now I have some weird issues with image quality. Here are
> some
> sample mpg files: http://psuae.org/mpg/index.html
>
> The ones labeled with mythtv at the end were recorded in mythtv and
> the
> ones without were taken using 'cat /dev/video[0|1] > /tmp/card[0|
> 1]' and
> using ivtv-tune to tune to the different channels. The quality
> difference is most noticeable on card0.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why there's a lack of color on card0 when using
> mythtv? Also, any help on the quality of the images would be
> appreciated. I don't know if there's much I can do since that's a
> Samsung tuner, which I know has a lot of problems, but any help you
> could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Now I know why they say a picture's worth a thousand words :-)

First, you have "mouse teeth" on your "good" pictures, an interlace
artifact, try de-interlacing to fix that, what method will depend on
your CPU power and your ultimate display. Perhaps you're de-inting on
playback and don't see that when you actually watch, but it's in the
file.

Looks like you haven't tuned the channel perfectly with Myth. This
could be just the "Samsung Tuner Syndrome" or you could possibly be
using the incorrect channel table.

Wish I could offer more help.