[mythtv-users] MythIPTV Beta 2

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Feb 19 19:19:33 UTC 2007

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Going back to the MythNews topic.  The support in MythNews doesn't
> require  much else except the title for displaying enclosures.  The
> point I was making earlier is that your efforts are great and would be
> better appreciated by extending MythNews to support the management of
> videos features you've added because the RSS display and management of
> feeds is already there and ready to go.

Ok, so reasons I've done this separately from MythNews:

 - Most of the video RSS feeds I care about don't have any interesting
text -- there is no point in displaying them in a traditional aggregator

 - I want to be able to queue downloads of enclosures, instead of having
them happen as the posts appear. This means that I don't saturate my
network link when I add a new feed

 - All this code is in Python, and I assume MythNews is in C++

Really, I see no harm in implementing this separately. I added the
"--importremote" and "--importlocal" with MythNews in mind, in case they
wanted to use MythIpTv as a way of importing videos into the recordings
menu.

IpTv is about using RSS as a delivery mechanism for video content,
whereas MythNews is about providing an RSS aggregator.

Mikal