[mythtv-users] MythIPTV Beta 2

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Feb 19 19:29:40 UTC 2007

Michael Still wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>> Going back to the MythNews topic.  The support in MythNews doesn't
>> require  much else except the title for displaying enclosures.  The
>> point I was making earlier is that your efforts are great and would be
>> better appreciated by extending MythNews to support the management of
>> videos features you've added because the RSS display and management of
>> feeds is already there and ready to go.
>>

> Ok, so reasons I've done this separately from MythNews:
>
>  - Most of the video RSS feeds I care about don't have any interesting
> text -- there is no point in displaying them in a traditional aggregator
>
>  - I want to be able to queue downloads of enclosures, instead of having
> them happen as the posts appear. This means that I don't saturate my
> network link when I add a new feed
>
>  - All this code is in Python, and I assume MythNews is in C++
>
> Really, I see no harm in implementing this separately. I added the
> "--importremote" and "--importlocal" with MythNews in mind, in case they
> wanted to use MythIpTv as a way of importing videos into the recordings
> menu.
>
> IpTv is about using RSS as a delivery mechanism for video content,
> whereas MythNews is about providing an RSS aggregator.

As I noted, recent patches have been moving to extend MythNews into more
than an RSS aggregator.  There is no reason it needs to be limited to
that functionality on a MediaPC.  What might be a good integration
though would be a way for your script to read the subscribed MythNews
RSS feeds with enclosures and provide the scheduled download mechanism
(configured from the MythNews settings hopefully).  This is currently
missing from the MythNews enclosure support.

Is this something that could work?  I'd be happy to help with the
necessary changes to MythNews on the plugin side to integrate with the
script.  I think MythNews already has a very good way to manage the RSS
feeds on screen and all that is missing is the downloading piece your
script provides and then a way of tying the download to the feed so that
MythNews knows the content is already downloaded and get it from disk
instead of the network.

Kevin