[mythtv-users] Nvidia CUDA / HD decoding

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:27:37 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:>
> > Mike, all, thank you for the info in this thread. Always an education..
> >
> > However, if I understand it correctly:
> >
> > 1. Hardware accel for H.264/MPEG4 is available via OpenGL
>
> Yes - but only to the same extent that h.264 decoding is available via
> the CPU ie someone has to write the code (not a Sunday night job...)

Yeah, but it's still quite a bit better than the previous situation
where the hardware capabilities were not available, hardware specs
were only available to NDA agreeing big-money partners.
At least with this, a motivated group of developers can give it a try.

For proof that the seemingly impossible development task can be
accomplished, just look at MythTV.

The other thing is, these GPUs are remarkably powerful.  Once a
programmable GPU is brought into play, you can easily see some cool
scaling, de-interlacing, and other post-processing being done.

I'm sure it will take a while.  But, the potential is exciting.