[mythtv-users] Getting the most use out of all tuners

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:17:03 UTC 2007

On 2/20/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> > But, since you'd like to see most of "Dressed to Kill", you can put a
> > -20/+10 in its rule/recording override. Then, you have "soft" padding
> > that's /only/ as soft as you want it.
> >

> (and before doing math)
>
> Actually, that would be a -10/+10 for "Dressed to Kill" as it's -10
> minutes of start early to start 10 minutes after the /listed/ (on the
> program listings, not the original recording rule's) start time.

You just brilliantly illustrated one of the problems with doing it this way.
Sometimes the fallible human is going to make mistakes. Though I admit this
is the way I handle these situations and it's not that onerous.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Myth to be able to handle
consecutive shows on the same channel better than it currently does. But I
do think that soft-padding is not the best solution. I'd rather see Myth be
able to write to two files at once from a single recorder so that the hard
padding can be preserved for both shows. This means you don't have to worry
about remembering not to delete a show because it's got part of another show
at the start or end. And you don't have to go hunting for the missing piece
of the show you want to watch.

Steve