[mythtv-users] Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 19 22:06:17 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 02:22 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> says:
>
>> There is an database optimisation script in /mythtv/contrib called
>> optimize_mythdb.pl which many users run daily via cron.
>>
> Based on the suggestion at
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/252381#252381>,
> I've written a shell script [1] that 1) runs the optimize_mythdb.pl
> script (instead of calling it daily from cron as I previous did),
> *then* 2) mythfilldatabase. I call the script, mythopfdb, in
> mythfilldatabase's place in mythtv-setup.

Wouldn't it make sense to call mythfilldatabase first and then
optimize_mythdb.pl (since mfdb does a lot of deletes and then a lot of
inserts--it deletes all listings data for a given source for any day
that it updates and then puts in the whole days data).

I guess you could argue that running mfdb on a corrupt database would be
bad, but since the table most likely to be corrupt is recordedseek
(which isn't touched by mfdb)...

Either way, I'm sure it's better to run it at the "not perfect" time
rather than never.  :)

Mike