[mythtv-users] MythIPTV Beta 2

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 22:30:56 UTC 2007

> There's a new version of MythIPTV now at
> http://www.stillhq.com/mythtv/mythiptv/source/beta-2/
>
> This version adds the following:
>
>  - subscription management: you can add RSS URLs to watch,
>    list them, update them (download new versions of the XML and
>    import the shows), and remove them

I haven't tried your 1st beta, but I may well give this a go. I just
need to understand what it is a little better first. Is it a tool
which lets you subscribe to RSS feeds which themselves point to video
content such as news stories which get loaded into MythTV as "normal"
recordings?

If so, it sounds a little like mythstream which does a similar thing
except it doesn't download and store. I have written a parser for
mythstream which lets you watch ABC Australia video clips such as
national news, weather, sport, business news etc. But there is no
direct RSS feed for these, AFAIK, so my parser downloads a web page
and follows some links until it gets to a .ASX file which contains
headlines and MMS urls to the actual video content. Presumably
MythIPTV wouldn't work in this scenario because it relies on there
being an actual RSS feed with direct links to the video content - is
that correct?

While that may be a downside, perhaps it can be worked around by me
creating a RSS XML file which MythIPTV could read. The reason I would
do this is because I like the sound of the content appearing as
recordings - it would be better to watch them like this than through
the mythstream interface.

Interested in your comments.

Regards,
Phill