[mythtv-users] Nvidia CUDA / HD decoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 19 22:55:26 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 03:27 PM, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/19/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:>
>>
>>> Mike, all, thank you for the info in this thread. Always an education..
>>>
>>> However, if I understand it correctly:
>>>
>>> 1. Hardware accel for H.264/MPEG4 is available via OpenGL
>>>
>> Yes - but only to the same extent that h.264 decoding is available via
>> the CPU ie someone has to write the code (not a Sunday night job...)

Exactly.

> The other thing is, these GPUs are remarkably powerful.  Once a
> programmable GPU is brought into play, you can easily see some cool
> scaling, de-interlacing, and other post-processing being done.
>
> I'm sure it will take a while.  But, the potential is exciting.

Yep.  And, that potential goes by the name "PureVideo" or "AVIVO"
(depending on your video card vendor of choice).  :)  In other words,
everything that's being done on Windows could potentially be done in
Linux with these cards, but using an open API.  The main limitation is
the size of the program supported by the video card's (hardware)
programmable pipeline, and it may mean that some cards can do full
decode /and/ "post processing" while others can do either decode or
processing while others can handle only processing and, of course, some
may not be able to handle either.

OK, strike that.  The main limitation is developer time.  The second
limitation is the above.  :)

Mike