[mythtv-users] Image Quality PVR-500

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 20 02:10:56 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 2:02 PM, J. David Maino wrote:

> I've tried a few things, including plugging the cable directly into
> the
> wall (previously it was going through a splitter), swapping out
> cables,
> making sure the connections were finger tight (didn't try a
> wrench), and
> plugging in a TV to the same outlet and cable. The TV quality was a
> little fuzzy, but it was consistently fuzzy on all channels, and not
> nearly as bad as my PVR-500.
>
> I did check channel 45 and noticed that it was also a particularly bad
> channel after seeing other people comment on it (previously I had just
> chosen a few low end channels to check and a few high end channels and
> assumed everything in between was somewhere in between).
>
> I've currently got an email out to Hauppauge to maybe get some
> answers,
> but I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately the only way to really know what's happening is a
spectrum analyzer, or its equivalent in a signal level meter.

Some people have said that the tuners on the capture cards are
pickier about levels than the ones in TV sets, but I'm not really
sure I believe that, because I would think they are using the same
tuner modules that are used in TV sets, why design a totally
different unit?

But they are probably not using the highest quality tuners on the cap
cards.