[mythtv-users] Always record like TiVO (was Re: OT: Interestingstudy on HDD failure by Googlelabs)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 20 03:16:15 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 07:54 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:
>  On 2/20/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was a 5 year TiVo user before going to Myth.  I think his point
> > is that you can sometimes sit down, see some show in progress, and
> > think, "Oh wow, I'd really like to see that full (news story,
> > sitcom, movie that just started, etc...), and if you just hit
> > record, it transfers the "ringbuffer" into a recording for the
> > current show, and will start from 30 minutes in the past.  So, I
> > could sit down 15 minutes into some show I didn't know was on, or I
> > don't normally record, and capture the whole thing.
> >

>  Ok, but how that better than having recorded the whole show from the
>  start?

The only part of the above description I can see that's different is the
"noticing some program that I normally wouldn't watch through sheer
coincidence/luck/good timing".  Do people really figure out what to
watch through this approach?  (Remember that as soon as you change
channel--whether on the TiVO or Myth--you've lost the benefit of the
always-recording-so-I-can-see-from-the-beginning approach, so sheer
coincidence/luck while channel surfing is a whole different topic that
doesn't apply.)

>  And the show before this one? We're not arguing that the TiVo
>  functionality isn't useful (at least if you use LiveTV at all), but
>  we're saying that there are better options to achieve the desired
>  result.

Thank you.  I think that's the point I've been trying unsuccessfully to
express.

By understanding what's better about the 30-minute buffer, I could see
how my recommendation fails to provide the desired functionality, and,
perhaps, could recommend another approach--or I might just agree that
TiVo's approach is the only approach that provides said benefit.

Mike