[mythtv-users] 16:9 playback of 16:9 letterboxed recordings

Kevin Slater kevin.slater at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:33:02 UTC 2007

> It seems to me that often broadcasters do a poor job of centering and
> maintaining aspect ratio when inserting letterbox/pillarbox bars, but I
> haven't done any real testing (nor have I had access to their source
> material to allow proper testing).  So, I may be off my rocker (or my
> Myth box or my TV may be improperly configured, making it look like a
> problem in the video I receive from the broadcaster).

What you might be seeing is broadcasters trying to 'cheat' on their
production of both SD and HD feeds of the same show. I saw this last night
on some station. While watching a show in SD, there was a degree of
letterboxing, but it wasn't enough to be 16:9 on the display. I suspect they
were just downcasting the HD 16:9 feed and dropping some of either edge of
the picture to mostly fit on a SD 4:3 format. Hard to describe in words, but
when you see it you know what I mean.