[mythtv-users] MythIPTV Beta 2

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 14:37:11 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> ryan patterson wrote:
>
> > IPTV is a standard that is already defined and in use all over the
> > world.  There is no special API that is required.  MythTV SVN already
> > has an IPTV tuner implemented.
> >
> > Your "Video Blogging" is completely different from IPTV.  IPTV is for
> > real time "brodcasting" of TV (live or prerecorded) over an IP network.
> > Your Video Blogging is a script for automatically downloading
> > prerecorded video files.  That is not the same thing at all.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong I do like your program idea.  Just the name you used
> > is already taken.
>
> Ok, so I see on further reading of that page that IPTV "typically"
> refers to a multicast stream of video. I was also unaware of the SVN
> support for such streams. Do you have a reference for that?
>
> Does anyone have an allergic reaction to "MythNetTV" as a possible name?
>
> Mikal

Aren't you simply talking about video podcasts.  Why not
"MythPodCatcher" or "MythNetCast" or something similar.  Also, I don't
see anything wrong with using MythIPTV as the name.  Just because the
companies such as Verizon have been using it to mean streaming TV over
the network doesn't mean it should be the only usage, or that it was
even the original intended usage.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.