[mythtv-users] transcoding perfect dvd rips to xvid

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Feb 21 02:28:12 UTC 2007

Mike Schiller wrote:
> ... and got good looking video and audio.  Unfortunately, I didn't
> include the autoaspect=1 flag, so I got 3:2 letterbox as my output.
> I'm re-running the encoding with the flag.  Is it safe to assume that
> I need the autoaspect flag for both passes?  The command line I'm
> using is....
>
> date; \
> mencoder dvdRip.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:autoaspect=1 \
>        -oac copy -o /dev/null; \
> mencoder dvdRip.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
>        vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:vpass=2:autoaspect=1 -oac copy -o dvdRip.avi; \
> date

I include it in both, although I just use "autoaspect", not
"autoaspect=1".  It's possible either syntax is valid.

> There does seem to be one glitch in the process.  Both with and
> without the autoaspect flag, every 4 frames I get an error:
>
>    1 duplicate frame(s)!
>
> Is this normal?

I don't really know.  I've never transcoded a DVD, just MPEG2 recordings
from my Myth box.  I usually get a few of those duplicate frame warnings
and they seem to be harmless, but one every four frames isn't something
I've encountered.