[mythtv-users] BBC HD (1080) h.264 / AVC playback

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 14:45:54 UTC 2007

On 2/20/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2007, at 15:37, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >>
> >> Use the Open source drivers.
> >
> > Or use their binary drivers and don't upgrade to anything newer when
> > the theoretical day comes that they stop supporting your card.
>
> That pretty much leaves me stuffed when I want to run a wireless card
> driver that needs kernel 2.theoretical.day+1, then, doesn't it?
>
> (And, yes, I can get wireless cards which run using OSS drivers, so I
> choose those, too)

Outside of the OSS is better concept, NVidia looks pretty set on
supporting linux as a platform for their products. They still support
cards as old as the RIVA TNT in their binary driver. If your running a
card that old, then using the OSS nvidia driver should not be a
problem because your obviously not doing anything that requires their
binary driver. If you were gaming or some such you would have a much
newer driver.

I also think the old arguement that companies that have binary drivers
will all of a sudden stop without releasing some OSS version is a
little dated, linux may not be mainstream yet, but as time goes on it
is proving to be a worthy platform for hardware vendors to support. I
think end of days scenario's need not apply any more.

JMPO...
--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!