[mythtv-users] Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 21 15:13:28 UTC 2007

On 02/20/2007 10:10 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> says:
>
>> Understood.  I don't think I've ever seen a corrupt MySQL table, but
>> I'm sure it happens.
>>

> I don't know if the operative word is "corrupt" or "destroy"--more
> accurately "corrupt, then destroyed by optimize_mythdb.pl," I
> suppose--but twice in the past couple of months I've seen, after
> forced reboots (involving what I describe at
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/242065#242065>),
> the seektables for the previous week or two of recordings
> destroyed. The damage isn't always obvious at first glance as the
> end-recording time is usually (not always) correct. However, if one
> tries to jump to near the end (say, 1:28:00 in a 1:28:37 recording),
> then jump back to the start (from, say, 1:28:07), the OSD will only
> jump back to 1:28:00.

That's not optimize_mythdb.pl destroying data, that's MythTV trying to
write data to a corrupt database--which meant the data was being
destroyed on write (by MySQL, MyISAM, user-error for operating a
database with corrupt tables, ... something that's not
optimize_mythdb.pl).  Then, you eventually figured out it was corrupt
and ran optimize_mythdb.pl and it fixed the tables.  However, the data
that was inserted into any corrupt tables /while/ they were corrupt was
already destroyed.

Mike