[mythtv-users] application not reading fast enough?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Feb 22 04:36:26 UTC 2007

I hadn't noticed these errors previously, but I cannot say for sure if
they were or were not showing up...

I'm seeing errors like :
ivtv2: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
ivtv2: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.
ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.

I wasn't (and, after some googling, I am still not) sure what to make of
them.  The only thing that I came across that had a fair amount of
relevance was:
http://malformed.org/2006/01/31/new-ivtv-error-from-mythtv-ivtv0-all-encoder-mpeg-stream-buffers-are-full-dropping-data/

Which was on some blog from back in Jan 2006.  I figure that information
is probably a bit old, and, from the info on the ivtv wiki, the options
mentioned in the blog entry are probably out dated as well.

So.. the question.. is this really ivtv related, or is it a mythtv
issue?  Or, perhaps, is it a hardware issue (not being able to write to
disk fast enough)?

-Rich