[mythtv-users] REPAIR/OPTIMIZE in HouseKeeper (was Re: Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 22 18:13:20 UTC 2007

On 02/22/2007 12:18 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
>
>> I think we need to leave things as they are--such that REPAIR's and
>> OPTIMIZE's and ANALYZE's are the user's responsibility.
>>
> Which brings us back to my suggestion of adding the optimize_mythdb.pl
> functionality to mythfilldatabase, callable through command-line
> flags.

I like the idea, but rather than code the functionality into the C++
program, why not just make a sample script for the contrib directory
(like optimize_mythdb.pl--or even just modify optimize_mythdb.pl) to
call mythfilldatabase?  Then, users wanting optimize/repair (or ANALYZE
or ...) in their mfdb script can use it rather than calling
mythfilldatabase.

Scripts are much more easily modified by users, and since database
repair/analysis/optimization are very user-/configuration-specific
requirements...

So, something like the attached, perhaps.  But, since I'm not a Perl
coder, I'm sure it could be fixed up a bit (i.e. is the arg passing safe?).

Mike