[mythtv-users] MythVideo (imdb.pl) broken with imdb movie lookups?

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Thu Feb 22 19:19:32 UTC 2007

Jeff Coffler wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just did a new frontend installation.  I'm encountering a problem with
> imdb.pl for movie lookups against imdb.  It appears to me that ALL plot
> lookups (and other details) are broken.  It doesn't appear to be based
> on my diskless installation, so I thought I'd post here.
>
> If I do a lookup of "Departed" (like "The Departed"), I get:
>
> imdb.pl -D 0407887
> Title:The Departed
> Year:2006
> Director:
> Plot:
> UserRating:8.4
> MovieRating:
> Runtime:
> Writers:
> Cast:
> Genres:
> Countries:
>
> Note that I get similar (empty) fields for plot and other things in all
> other lookups that I've tried.
>
> It appears that the script is checking for ">Plot Outline:</b> ", but in
> reality imdb is now issuing ">Plot Outline:</h5>"
>
> Are other folks also getting similar problems (indicating that imdb
> changed their WWW site)?  Or am I doing something absurdly stupid?
>
> Thanks,
>
>     -- Jeff

You have 2, well, actually 3 choices here.

1, you can do what I did and just plow through the imdb.pl script and
replace every "www.imdb.com" reference with "former.imdb.com." This is
working fine for me. Note that this fix will eventually stop working
since that site will eventually go away, but it should be plenty of time
to let the patched imdb.pl go through the cycle and get into a release
or at least available on SVN.
2, you can pull imdb.pl patch from SVN as Jesse and "awithers" have
tweaked it to work with the new pages... Ticket 3111.
3, someone on Dev mentioned a python based imdb script, but I suggest
doing either 1 or 2 above.

--
Josh