[mythtv-users] RFC: Using DNS-SD to bootstrap MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 22 20:05:22 UTC 2007

On 02/22/2007 02:50 PM, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 2/21/07, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
>
>> We're going to be using UPnP SSDP for automatic backend discovery - it's
>> currently being worked on (and is almost ready to be committed, from what I
>> understand).
>>
> It's good that MythTV plans to support UPnP in a bigger way and any
> kind of automatic discovery would be an improvement but mDNS/DNS-SD is
> really a much cleaner solution IMHO, and probably easier to implement.

But the UPnP approach is already implemented (and in testing before
being committed)--making it, IMHO, easier than starting over.

> There's a good (if one-sided) comparison of the two approaches here:
> http://www.zeroconf.org/ZeroconfAndUPnP.html
>
> In particular it's important to note that the SSDP protocol was last
> updated in October 1999 and still has sections where known problems
> are left unresolved.  It works as is but will start to cause problems
> as it becomes more common.

Feel free to send in patches that provide alternative or replacement
functionality.  You may want to wait a little bit to see the UPnP
implementation as a baseline of the requirements so you can at least
provide a fully-functional replacement.

Mike