[mythtv-users] RFC: Using DNS-SD to bootstrap MythTV

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 20:27:41 UTC 2007

Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:
>> The proposal is to use DNS based service discovery (DNS-SD)
>
> It wouldn't be terribly hard to hack up your proposal using a small
> python script (using avahi) that runs just before the frontend starts
> and populates mysql.txt.

Essentially, I have done this. The frontend image does not contain
support for languages such as Python and Perl, because I am trying to
keep the frontend image as small as possible. As a result, rather than
using Python and avahi, I used sh and adns.

 > ILikewise a python script on the server or
 > just a .service file could broadcast the data.

Since DNS-SD is orthogonal to mDNS, and since I have a DNS server, I
used regular DNS rather than mDNS.

> I'm still hoping we can stop using mysql directly some day soon.
> DNS-SD would still be a good thing in that case, of course.

I do not see it working well for Myth plugins unless the protocol that
replaces direct access can relay SQL queries between the frontend and
the backend database. Is that what you are thinking?