[mythtv-users] Can't get smooth HD playback with GeForce 5200

MythTV MythTV at assuredsolutions.com
Fri Feb 23 06:29:15 UTC 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 9:15 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> [...]
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file:
> [...]
>> (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce FX 5200 at
>> PCI:
>> 2:1:0:
>
> Pretty sure this is the crux of your problem right here. Best as I
> can tell, you have a straight PCI card (PCI-e cards show up
> similarly, but mention pci-e link width, fairly sure AGP cards show
> up as AGP). Is that indeed the case?
>
> You *need* a PCI-express or AGP card for HDTV, the PCI bus will get
> overwhelmed trying to move that much data.

You are correct.  I have a PCI GeForce FX 5200 card.  Since my
motherboard doesn't have PCI-express, I have to go purchase an
Accelerated Graphics Port card.  It seems that I missed that little
"AGP" detail on your "2. Hardware-->High-Definition TV Capture and
Playback System".  I really don't mind this inconvenience since I'll
get an open PCI slot for a second tuner.

I'm headed off to purchase this card unless there are more words of
wisdom:
http://www.shop.com/op/
~GeForce_FX_5200_256MB_DDR_AGP_Video_Card_w_TV_Out_-prod-34755161

Thanks,
Rob