[mythtv-users] How do I turn my cable box on and off?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Feb 23 07:37:58 UTC 2007

On 02/23/2007 01:22 AM, Steve Hodge wrote:
> Personally I just leave mine on all the time. The Myth PC draws far
> more power than the cable box.

And, what I said, here, about satellite boxes applies to most cable
boxes, too:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/234916#234916

Do a test for yourself, and I'll bet you'll find that whether the box is
on or off, it's drawing the same amount of power.  Short of wiring up a
PC-controlled switch to cut power between the cable box and the wall,
you're not going to save electricity by shutting down the cable box
(save, maybe, the 0.1W being used by the power LED ;).

Mike