[mythtv-users] problems with mythtv

Jared Greenwald greenwaldjared at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:48:05 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/23/07, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
> >
> > Jared Greenwald wrote:
> > > I'm having a few problems with my mythtv setup and I'm looking for a
> > little
> > > help.
> > >
> > > First, I can't seem to get live TV to play properly.  That's not to
> > say
> > > that
> > > my WinTV PVR-250 isn't working.  I can re-direct output from
> > /dev/video
> > > into
> > > a file and play it just fine under mplayer (/dev/video > /tmp/video ;
> > > mplayer /tmp/video) - it just doesn't play directly as live tv under
> > > mythtv.
> >
> > Please explain what you mean by "properly".
> >
> > I was having that problem with my PVR-350 (the screen was black, and I
> > got an error, which I was able to google.  You need to look in your
> > logfiles for errors.  The problem for me was that I had set up the card
> > as a V3L instead of MPEG encorder.
>

> That did it!   I don't know why I didn't notice the V3L marking on the
> capture.  Thanks for the help.

Err...  That solved the Live TV problem, but not the problems with
ripping/playback.  Of note was that the movie I was originally experimenting
with is my daugher's Cinderella III movie.  The problem I encountered with
ripping the iso was with The Prestige - also note that I couldn't rip a
"perfect" transcoded copy either (the rip timer just starts getting
exponentially big).  Does anyone else out there have this movie that they
could see if its a problem with the contents of the disc?  I'm attempting
another DVD (Babel) to see if the playback problems are specific to
Cinderella III.  Again, if anyone has advice on how to get the transcoded
playback to improve, let me know.