[mythtv-users] Connecting to MythTV backend

Shiloh Madsen shiloh.madsen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 23:17:18 UTC 2007

Actually, this post is a couple of questions that I hope to knock down
at once (one I will probably know after trying it later tonite), so
thanks in advance for any advice.

My first dilemma is how to set this up for my home. I will definitely
be building a backend MythTV box to handle TV recording, and also hold
my media. What I am trying to decide is if I will have to buy and
build another HTPC to put in my living room for the actual watching of
the things on the backend. My initial thought was yes, however, while
reading through the wiki there was reference to a "media server/client
and control point standard" which I was unfamiliar with. After
googling around a bit, I couldn't find what this was referring to, so
I was hoping to get some light shed on it. Is this like those little
access point boxes that can drill into a Windows MCE computer remotely
to allow you to access that computer as if it was an HTPC connected to
the rest of your av components? If so, is there a piece of hardware I
can look at that will allow me to have the MythTV frontend running on
the computer back in the computer room, and just tie into that from
the living room? If not, I am assuming that I actually have to build a
second computer to be the frontend and connect to my living room AV
components...please correct me if I am wrong.

Ok, second (and briefer) question. I have a TV tuner card I am getting
ready to install (All in Wonder 9800 pro if it matters) but I am
curious how cable works with this. My understanding is that the
premium channels are being given access to by a card in the cable box
itself. If that is the case, and I connect my tuner card into the
cable line, does that mean I will be limited to basic cable despite
having a number of premium channels that I can access through my set
top box?

Thanks much for any help in advance.

Shiloh

--
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the
shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and