[mythtv-users] Connecting to MythTV backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Feb 23 23:57:59 UTC 2007

On 02/23/2007 06:17 PM, Shiloh Madsen wrote:
> Ok, second (and briefer) question. I have a TV tuner card I am getting
> ready to install (All in Wonder 9800 pro if it matters)
It does.
>  but I am curious how cable works with this.
It, and over-the-air, and satellite, and any other type of TV input
doesn't work with that.  See
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1 , specifically the part
under "Video Capture Device" just after the "Frame Grabbers." section,
right around the "STOP STOP" icons (both before and after the icons).

>  My understanding is that the
> premium channels are being given access to by a card in the cable box
> itself. If that is the case, and I connect my tuner card into the
> cable line, does that mean I will be limited to basic cable despite
> having a number of premium channels that I can access through my set
> top box?
Once you get a supported TV tuner card, yes.  Other option is to use
some sort of control (IR transmitter, serial control, firewire) to allow
your Myth box to change channels on your cable box.

Mike