[mythtv-users] Powerstrip modeline not working

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 02:12:41 UTC 2007

> perhaps, try uninstalling the RPM and downloading the driver directly
> from NVIDIA.

Thanks for all your help on this Steven. I have a policy of only
installing from binary RPMs so I ended up doing "yum clean all" and
removing ALL my nvidia packages and the latest kernels, rebooting and
reinstalling them. Happy to say that I can now run 9746 with the
nvidia driver!

However... I still can't get anything better that a 800x600 resolution
on my new multi-thousand dollar TV! I've gone to a basic xorg.conf
which looks like this (sorry for long post):

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Unknown monitor"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 37.9
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1366x768_60" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection

Here are some errors I'm getting in Xorg.0.log:
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1366x768_60"; removing.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "800x600"
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "640x480"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 800 x 600
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute DPI
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     from CRT-0's EDID.

I thought now that I'm on 9746 getting 1366x768_60 would be easy. Can
you see anything in my config that would be messing this up?

Regards,
Phill