[mythtv-users] OT: USB IR Receiver questions

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 07:44:30 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/23/07, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
> > Don't suppose you know where to find this guy off the top of your head?
> > (who sells the serial receiver for $12.75)
>
> http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html
>

> John

I have a few of these that I've ordered over the course of a year or
so.  But with new motherboards coming out, there are fewer external
serial ports on motherboards.  In addition, the ones that do still
exist (and are a good choice for a mythtv frontend) have only 1
(external).  If I need to connect an IR Blaster (serial) to the system
as well, then I need 2 serial ports (right?).  So my choices are to
get a breakout cable and bracket (ok choice, but uses a PCI I/O slot
and on a SFF case these are usually in short supply anyway).  Or, to
go USB on the IR Receiver.  So far, my quest for USB IR Receivers is
quite limited or costly.  The IR Receiver that comes with the
StreamZap remotes works good, but it seems like a waste of money and a
remote when all I need is the receiver (and I can get one for 12.75).
Other options send me into the $40+ range, blowing the 12.75 out of
the water.

To add to all of that, new motherboards (the ones with the diminishing
serial ports) seem to have an increasing number of external USB ports
available; so moving to USB for both an IR receiver and an IR blaster
makes a lot of sense.  But, the product that is available to do this
(the USBUIRT) isn't exactly cheap when compared to my existing
options.  So, my ultimate question is, where's the competition, and
when will we see 'cheap' USB options?

Thanks!

-Chad