[mythtv-users] TV tuner cards - low cost recommendations?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Feb 24 15:00:02 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007 06:06, Graeme Nelson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the responses so far.  It is the sort of info I wanted, even
> if not what I hoped to hear! :-/
>
> > What spec system are you planning to use for your PVR experiment?
>
> AMD Duron 1.3GHz with 768MB RAM for initial config/experimentation,
> moving later to at least Sempron 3000+ or Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM
> for "production" system.

Your initial system will almost certainly be fast enough to handle a single
frame grabber (software-encoding) card, although it might struggle to keep up
with simultaneous recording and playback, and I doubt if it could handle two
cards at once. (Somebody with more experience with hardware in that range may
be better able to comment than I.) Your later "production" system will
definitely be able to handle a single encoding card and simultaneous playback
from it. (I've got a Celeron 3.06GHz and it works fine with such a
configuration.) I recently tried two software encoding cards in my system and
it struggled to keep up. I haven't debugged the issue -- for unrelated
reasons I decided to move the second card to a different system on my home
network. I would expect it to have worked better, though, given the CPU needs
of the first card alone.

Of course, if you go with a frame grabber, you should take care not to run any
CPU-intensive tasks (kernel compiles, say) when the system is recording,
particularly before you switch from your slower to your faster system.

If you want dual tuners, you could compromise and get one frame grabber and
one hardware-encoding card. That'll minimize the initial "bite" of the
hardware-encoding card's cost and give you most of the benefits -- you can
configure MythTV to favor the hardware-encoding card, using the
software-encoding card only when the hardware-encoding card is in use.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com