[mythtv-users] OT: USB IR Receiver questions

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Sat Feb 24 20:17:30 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007, Chad wrote:
> On 2/23/07, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/23/07, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
> > > Don't suppose you know where to find this guy off the top of your head?
> > > (who sells the serial receiver for $12.75)
> >
> > http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html
> >

> > John
>
> I have a few of these that I've ordered over the course of a year or
> so.  But with new motherboards coming out, there are fewer external
> serial ports on motherboards.  In addition, the ones that do still
> exist (and are a good choice for a mythtv frontend) have only 1
> (external).  If I need to connect an IR Blaster (serial) to the system
> as well, then I need 2 serial ports (right?).  So my choices are to
> get a breakout cable and bracket (ok choice, but uses a PCI I/O slot
> and on a SFF case these are usually in short supply anyway).  Or, to
> go USB on the IR Receiver.  So far, my quest for USB IR Receivers is
> quite limited or costly.  The IR Receiver that comes with the
> StreamZap remotes works good, but it seems like a waste of money and a
> remote when all I need is the receiver (and I can get one for 12.75).
> Other options send me into the $40+ range, blowing the 12.75 out of
> the water.
>
> To add to all of that, new motherboards (the ones with the diminishing
> serial ports) seem to have an increasing number of external USB ports
> available; so moving to USB for both an IR receiver and an IR blaster
> makes a lot of sense.  But, the product that is available to do this
> (the USBUIRT) isn't exactly cheap when compared to my existing
> options.  So, my ultimate question is, where's the competition, and
> when will we see 'cheap' USB options?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

If you are not using the Mic input of your soundcard, you can solve the
problem for about $3.-

Get the IR receiver chip from RadioShack. Wire ground to ground, signal out to
Mic in, and Vcc to the Mic power lead. Use the lirc-alsa driver, select the
Mic capture, and go...

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT