[mythtv-users] ivtv problem: Firmware UNRESPONSIVE

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Mon Feb 26 14:58:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 10:56 -0500, James Orr wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 00:14 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
>
> > I wonder if you saw the note at ivtvdriver.org about needing new
> > firmware for 0.10.0 ?
>

> Yes, I'd actually updated the firmware files when I was still on
> 0.9.1.  They are the most recent versions.
>
> Everything was working fine with kernel 2.6.12 and ivtv 0.4.0.  I
> upgraded because I needed to build a new kernel for some other stuff
> (wireless ethernet).  Unfortunately I'm not sure if I could get
> 0.4.0, but 0.4.5 is still in portage (I use Gentoo), if I can't find a
> resolution soon I'm going to be forced to try going back to the 2.6.12
> kernel with 0.4.5.
>
> What will occasionally happen is that it will record 5-10 minutes of
> the show before cutting off.  After it cuts off that tuner becomes
> useless until I reboot the computer.  There is usually more than one
> recording happening at the time it occurs.
>
> On Sunday it happened to both Battlestar Galactica and Without A Trace
> at the same time (about 10 minutes in), but Extras which was also
> recording was OK.
> Wednesday it happened to Medium right off the bat (no time in) but
> Lost and CSI: NY were both OK.
> Last night it happened to ER about 5 minutes in but Shark was OK.
>
> I know there were also problems on Monday and Tuesday but I don't
> remember the details.

Found the problem!  It wasn't software, it was hardware.

I had given up, and went back to the last kernel/ivtv I knew worked,
2.6.12 with 0.4.0.  I noticed playback was somewhat jerky, and then it
happened ... it just turned itself off.  I tried turning it back on but
it would either not come on at all or just come on for a few seconds
before going off again.  OK, I thought, power supply is dead. I replaced
it with a new one and everything has worked fine since (I went back to
2.6.19 and ivtv 0.10.0).

So I guess the problems I've been having were due to a failing power
supply.  It was only a 200W and it was powering 2 hard drives, a DVD
drive and 3 PVR 250's.  Perhaps the USB 802.11g wireless adapter I just
added was the straw that broke the camels back?  Anyway, I have a nice
new 350W now and all seems well with the world.

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>