[mythtv-users] Mythtv over remote X connection

Sven Nielsen post at svennielsen.de
Mon Feb 26 19:11:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am trying to run mythtv in a remote X session on a thin client.
For live playback I need to disable video overlay mode (I think)
of the mythtv internal player (overlay does not work in remote
X session.)

I need to do this since the thin client I use in my living room is not
powerful enough to run a local X server and decode the video locally
(250 Mhz AMD, diskless, root file system mounted over nfs).

I can, without problems, connect to my server, start a remote X session,
and then watch a movie with mplayer in that session by using video out
driver x11 (software scaling) and switching to 640x480 resolution for
video playback.

Question: Is there a way to disable overlay video in mythtv without
recompiling?

(I am using Debian testing packages from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/)

Many thanks!

Sven