[mythtv-users] Dish Network customers, any receiver better than another?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 01:01:06 UTC 2007

On 2/26/07, Cole Brodine <cbrodine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last I knew, both Dish and DirecTV did not have firewire support on any of
> their boxes.  You can get it added by a 3rd party company if you are
> desperate for it, but it is quite expensive and still problematic to
> implement.  http://169time.com/ and
> http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm are two of
> the sites that do the mods if you are interested.  Do a search on them in
> the mailing list if you want to find out more.  They've been discussed at
> great length here already.
>
> For now, most people will agree that it either isn't worth it to try HDTV on
> satellite with Myth or that the implementation is flaky at best.  I think
> people are having a lot better luck with cable companies right now.  (My
> understanding is that the FCC mandate for Firewire and cablecards doesn't
> apply to satellite, just cable, so it could be quite some time until us
> satellite users get good HDTV support.)
>
> Most of the DirecTV receivers can be controlled by a serial port on them
> instead of using an IR blaster.  I *THINK* some Dish Receivers are the same,
> but I've never been a Dish Customer, so I can't say for sure.  That could be
> where the confusion is coming from.  There is some information on setting up
> an IR Blaster with Dish Network on the wiki (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LIRC).  Hopefully a
> Dish User will chime in here with more info.
>
> Hopefully this helps some.
>

> Regards,
>
> Cole Brodine

Thanks a ton!  Indeed, the only results I get from google, etc, is
from 169time and I've seen the discussion the list surrounding them.
Definitely a bummer.  I can get all available OTA HDTV channels, I was
just also hoping to be able to record some of the movies from TNT-HD
and HBO-HD in full HDTV res for later viewing pleasure; but I guess
I'll have to settle for DVD quality for now.

Thanks again!

-Chad