[mythtv-users] playback not smooth regardless of source

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 10:11:13 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:

> Alright.  I hope I have understood you correctly.  The file was fairly
> big, too big to send to a mailing list anyway.  I have placed it here:
>
> http://sethd.org/myth/frontend.log

Ok - everything looks fine.

A couple of observations:-

 - as mentioned before (by someone else), you'll almost certainly be
better off using opengl vsync (frontend setting). Using this, video
timing won't be impacted as much by cpu load/other processess and
refreshes will be in sync with the monitor.

- your current setup is taking a standard def, interlaced source and
deinterlacing it. It is then displaying it using a higher definition,
interlaced display mode.

The second point is probably your problem.  I would try one of two options:-

 - if possible, try displaying at 480i (i.e. normal, interlaced
standard def) using opengl vsync and no deinterlacer. I'm assuming
you're using dvi and that your monitor/tv can support it.
 - otherwise, I'd go for 720p using bobdeint and openglvsync.

If you can get the first one working, that should give you a yardstick
for what 'good' quality looks like. What you want to aim for is
matching as closely as possible the characteristics of your video
source with the characteristics of how it's being displayed.

If your tv is expecting 480i and it gets 480i, you don't need to do
anything in software other than make sure the video output timing is
correct (opengl vsync) and the tv will take care of everything else.

Along the same lines, with your HDHomerun, the tv is expecting 1080i
and you're giving it deinterlaced 1080i. So try turning off any
deinterlacing (and turn on opengl vsync) and see how that looks.

If either of those options still looks bad, send over some more
logs... (and maybe your xorg.conf and xorg logs)

Regards

Mark