[mythtv-users] Finally solved utf8 encoding problems, added tutorial to MythTV Wiki

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:18:07 UTC 2007

On 27/02/07, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> MythTV Users,
>
> I had a couple of threads going here about problems I was having with
> getting utf8 fonts (Japanese, in my case) displaying properly in the On
> Screen Display when watching MythTV.
>
> Well, I've finally solved it. The last piece of the puzzle was to change
> the fonts in the XML file for the OSD theme as well as changing the OSD
> font settings in the Setup section inside the mythfrontend interface.
>
> Anyway, I put a tutorial up on the Wiki which explains everything I did,
> and hopefully will help others who want to use utf8 encoded texts:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Utf8_Text_in_OSD
>
> (I know most people wouldn't post to the list saying they've added new
> stuff to the Wiki, but this is my first ever contribution to a Wiki, so
> I felt good enough about it to make mention of it.)
>
> Hope the information is helpful to others!

Dave,

That looks like an excellent result, and a very good write up.  I'm in
the UK and occasionally see glitches in the guide data.  Mainly
accented characters in foreign film titles come out wrong, but also
some english punctuation gives problems.  I'm building a new system at
the moment so may give it a try.

A couple of points:

For the global replace in the database you may be able to use the
technique for changing hostname, described in the official
documentation.  Basically dump the database to an sql file;  use a
text editor to do a global replace, and then restore the database.

The need to change mc.sql is a bit worrying.  Might that file not get
replaced in the upgrade?  Probably worth checking it after the upgrade
but before running the new mythtv version for the first time?

Thanks