[mythtv-users] Will Hauppauge PVR-150 work for digital cable?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Feb 27 21:23:40 UTC 2007

Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I want to set up a mythtv box for my parents. I already have a Hauppauge
> PVR-150 I was going to use. I just found out that they had been upgraded
> to analog cable a few months ago. (They live in Ontario and I guess
> Rogers cable upgraded them for some reason. I don't think it is HDTV,
> but I have no idea.) I had set up mythtv before on whatever cable system
> we have used in Ontario previously. I am just wondering if the PVR-150
> will work with digital cable or not. (I don't live there so want to find
> out what I need before I get there.) I don't really understand how the
> signal is different from whatever cable TV has been until now, but I
> suspect I would need a different card. Is that so?

There will still be an analog signal on the wire, but they will only get
the channels that are a) available as analog and b) subscribed to in
whatever package they have. To get the digital channels, you need a card
capable of tuning QAM signals, and even then you will only get the ones
that are un-encrypted, which are only the time-shifting channels (CBC,
Global, CTV, etc), no premium channels are available via QAM.

HTH
Tom