[mythtv-users] Fast forward freezing (any multiple)

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 21:58:26 UTC 2007

Bryan Bennetts wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> On my main be/fe machine fastforward (and I think rewind) freeze after a short
> period.  I *think* it maybe something to do with my sound setup, but am not
> sure.

In my case, it's related to which mpeg decoder I use. ffmpeg fast
forwards the video just fine, very smoothly at any speed. But playback
at normal speed results in the occasional sound skipping. libmpeg2
results in perfect playback, but after FF for more than 5 seconds at
speed 5x or more (for some reason 3x is just fine), and I get the pause
you mentioned. I never bothered to fix it because it would again
continue FF if I changed the speed by one increment or used the 30 sec
skip button, so it wasn't a problem. That and I never use FF, just the
skip forward function.
Anwyay, you could try and see if changing the decoder makes a difference
and see if that helps isolate the cause.
Raphael