[mythtv-users] Display Problem Using TV Out

Matt Petteys mpetteys at petteys.us
Wed Feb 28 06:44:12 UTC 2007

I need some assistance on fixing my display configuration.  I have a
MythTv system using a nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card, AGP.  I am
connecting to a standard resolution television using the SVIDEO
output.  The display is wavy or the picture is distorted by diagonal
lines moving from left bottom, up to the right.  The picture was fine
when connected to a standard monitor.  The lines are visible while the
system is booting, at the console (before x starts), over Myth menus,
and through video playback so I am not sure if this is an X issue or
something else?  Can anyone enlighten me on possible fixes?

The most relevant sections of my X config are..

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Chaintech GeForce FX 5200"
       Driver          "nvidia"
       BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
       VideoRam        128000
       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
       Option          "NoLogo"                "True"
       Option      "ConnectedMonitor"      "TV"
       Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
       Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Svideo"
       Option          "DPMS"
       #HorizSync       12-21
       #VertRefresh     49-51
       Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
       # TV Out Setup
       Option      "ConnectedMonitor"      "TV"
       Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
       Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
       Option      "TVOverScan" "1.0"
       Option  "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
       Option  "DPI" "100 x 100"
       HorizSync       30-50
       VertRefresh  60.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier      "Default Screen"
       Device          "Chaintech GeForce FX 5200"
       Monitor         "Svideo"
       DefaultDepth    24
       # suggested by http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:XDriver
       DefaultFbbpp 32
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           24
               Modes           "800x600"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

I have not been able to find anything that solves the issue using
google or on the wiki to correct the problem..  I have tried the
information at locations including the following.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/NVidiaProprietaryDriver
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XorgConfMonitorSectionForTV
http://threebit.net/mail-archive/mythtv-users/msg00143.html

The system is debian with 0.20-svn20061209-0.3 installed.  I am using
the debian packages for the nVidia drivers, 1.0.8776.  Using
xserver-xorg 7.1.0-9.