[mythtv-users] MythTV/Dish Network Setup

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 1 15:47:10 UTC 2007

On Jan 1, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Paul M Done wrote:

> I am new to mythTV and would like to use it to replace a second
> television (not HD) connected to a Dish Network receiver. I am using a
> Hauppauge 150 and remove the coax cable that goes directly into the TV
> and replace this into the capture card. I do not get video and
> think it
> is a configuration problem.
> Does anybody have experience with this or resources I can use to make
> this work?
> Thanks, Paul

I guess you are new, and Happy New year :-)

Well first, Myth does not "replace" a TV set, but I know what you
mean :-)

 From what you describe you are trying to get the RF output of a DISH
receiver into your PVR card. Given that scenario you would have to
set your card to receive on channel 2/3 all the time.

But that's not the best way to connect a satellite receiver. You
should use either the composite or the S-Video and the baseband
audio. (as was said earlier by Michael Tiller).

But you will still have to tune the receiver using an IR blaster of
some sort. Some DirecTV receivers can be serially controlled, but all
DISH receivers require IR control (or RF, on the second channel of
the dual-mode receivers).

The best resources are the most obvious:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You don't mention what distro, Myth version etc. you are using. Most
problems with Myth turn out to be with the underlying OS or drivers
and not really Myth itself. Best bet is to prove out the hardware
using more basic software and then attempt a Myth installation.

You might also consider one of the all-in-ones like MythDora or
KnoppMyth, if you are new to Linux as well as Myth.

Basically you have a lot of reading ahead in the New Year, I envy
you :-)